This summer I went to India after four long years. Well! I enjoyed my trip, had loads of fun with family and friends. Did whole bunch of travelling…eating…reading….and shopping!
But while I was busy in my activities, I realized the massive and rapid change our navin Bharat is going through….new infrastructure, new spending power, new aspirations, new ambitions…wow! kudos to our government, our leaders and our people.
I am eager to share with you this striking change I experienced in people, places, attitudes, and choices overall. Of course my views are confined to the people I saw, met, spoke to and observed while travelling and living in cities…they definitely do not represent the whole nation and there are exceptions…so I request the readers to enjoy with open and unbiased mind…….Here’s what I saw through my LADIES NRI chashma:
- Money wise – Ten rupees is the new one rupee and five hundred note is the new one hundred note
- Everything is four times expensive…a beggar refuses to take five rupees
- Domestically – Women are stressed over their baais (household maids)
- On an average people have two to three domestic helpers, children miss their nannies over parents
- Trend wise – Artistic yoga, power yoga, hot yoga, rumba, samba are the buzz words among fitness freaks
- Bollywood dancing is hot while traditional dancing is cold
- Drinking is the new normal coz Teetotalers are abnormal
- Craze for branded stuff is out of hand
- Online shopping is hot…..shopping in crowded stores is lame
- People have moved on from yoga with Ramdev baba to herbal products with Baba’s Patanjalli
- Hanging out in malls and bowling alleys is something while time pass on kattas like the good old days is nothing
- Technologically – Virtual life on Facebook is more important than real life
- Every person from bai to dabbawalla in gaav to city is on whatsapp!
- Parties, picnics, celebrations and dev darshan all are incomplete without selfies
- Smart phones are in and mobiles with press buttons are out
- Texting on phone is trendy while face to face conversation is waste of time
- Playing games on electronic devices are cool while playing on the play ground is old school
- Fashion wise – Western outfits among women are must haves while traditional clothing is heavy…”Kon pehenta hai ab”
- In skirt without satin and saree blouse without latkan are bore
- Hair straightening is a big hit
- Tunics and kurtas over jeans or leggings is everywhere while dupattas and pallus are too much to wear
- Gold jewelry out of fashion against imitation jewelry which is most preferred
- Among the kids – Parties are incomplete without donuts, cupcakes, burgers, pizzas and pastas while Wada pav, chaat, or other gharguti items are outdated and cheap options
- Coaching classes start before seeking admission in school and college
- New student routine is school, home, tuition, TV, and computer
- Spending power – Air ports are the new railways stations and budget airline is the new Rajdhani express
- Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand trips are more common than Rajasthan and Kerala tours among senior citizens and honeymooners
- Any day anytime in cities wait to be seated in a restaurant is minimum thirty to forty minutes
- With the new construction, pollution, and population explosion it looks like urban Bharat will take over…our natural Bharat…
What can I say…change is inevitable….
India is racing change…..as someone has already said that if you do not create change, change will create you!
so my bharatiya bandhu and bhaginis…..before it is too late….adapt to this change